Man Jailed For Robbery

By Musa Paul Feika

Yusuf Conteh yesterday made his first appearance before Magistrate Alhaji Suliaman Koroma, of the Ross Road Magistrate Court No.1, for allegedly robbing Johnny Turay certain valuable property worth millions of Leones.

 According to the police, the incident occurred on the 16th October, 2020 at Grafton, outside Freetown.

The police prosecution witness, Johnny Turay, told the court that he recognised the accused and could recall the day in question.

He added that, on that day, at around 1:30am, there was a heavy downpour of rain. He said his wife, Janet Sesay, woke him up to fetch water. But he said when they went outside, to fetch water, it instantly stopped raining and they went inside again.

 The witness told bench that, after a few seconds, it started raining again, adding that himself and his wife tried to come outside again.

“When I slightly opened the door, I saw the accused with others, who were well armed with matches and sharp objects. They forcefully opened the door and entered,” the witness said.

Mr. Turay said, as soon as they entered the bedroom, the accused started demanding money from them. He noted that when he refused to give them money, they attempted to chop off his head with the cutlass. But he said he prevented the accused from doing so by blocking him with his left arm.  “However I sustained injury on my left arm,” he told the court, noting that blood was oozing from his wounds.

The witness detailed the court that the accused took away his mobile phone, which is valued at five hundred thousand Leones (Le500,000).

“I instructed my wife to give them the money which she did,” Mr. Turay added.

The witness said, during the fracas, some community boys in Grafton came at the crime scene to find out what was happening, but the accused and his men had already left the scene.

 He said his elder brother, whose name was not mentioned, came to the scene and took him to the Government Rokupa Hospital at Wellington in Freetown. But he said he was transferred at Connaught Hospital for treatment.

“At the Connaught Hospital I was not by myself. I had already passed away,” Mr. Turay said.

Mr. Turay said, while he was at the Connaught Hospital, he got twenty eight stitches for his wounds. The witness concluded his testimony stating that he made a statement at the Grafton Police Division in Freetown.

The accused is arraigned before the court on several counts of robbery with aggravation, wounding with intent and other related offences, which are all contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone.

According to the police charge sheet, Yusuf Conteh, on the 16th October, 2020 at Grafton outside Freetown, robbed and wounded the Johnny Turay, in manner thereby causing him grievous bodily harm.

The accused was denied bail and remanded at the Male Correctional Centre, Pademba Road in Freetown. The matter was adjourned to 12th January, 2021.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *